I went to see Embrace @bodyimagemovement last night and to say I was inspired is an understatement. When you’ve been in this movement long enough, it’s easy to forget how much of the population haven’t heard of body positivity, it’s easy to forget that there is still an ever present need for body positivity.
It wasn’t just the film, it was the Q and A and the stories people told and the vulnerability that was in the room when people shared about experiences with their child or in their schools, so filled with emotion. It is this emotion and passion that I believe will change the world.
There were so many poignant moments and words spoken in the film but have you ever heard a sentence and heard it almost echo in your ears and reverberate in your head.
Yes well this is what happened to me when this sentence was said. THIS NEEDS TO CHANGE. What is “this” though?
• 91% of women hate their body
• 80% of children who are 10 years old are afraid of being fat.
• 7 in 10 girls believe they are not good enough
• 80% of 10-year-old girls have dieted.
• 90% of high school junior and senior women diet regularly
• Young girls are more afraid of becoming fat than they are of nuclear war, cancer, or losing their parents
•10% of people suffering from an eating disorder will seek professional help
And that’s just the tip of the iceberg. I don’t mean to depress you, but I truly believe if we don’t do something those stats will only get worse.
So I’m going to use those numbers to fuel me, to be more passionate, work harder and longer than I ever have before and I won’t stop until the job is done and body positivity is the norm.
WHO WANTS TO HELP?